When a Kidney Transplantation is Performed?
As mentioned earlier, kidney transplantation is preferred for kidney failure, instead of choosing several dialysis sessions for removing waste from the blood. Kidney transplantation is performed for the following reasons:
- To improve the quality of life
- To reduce the risk of death
- To reduce treatment cost
For some patients, kidney transplantation is suitable even before they start undergoing dialysis and it is called pre-emptive kidney transplant.
Though kidney transplantation offers various benefits, it may not be suitable for everyone. People with the following may not be good candidates for kidney transplantation:
- Advanced heart diseases
- Treated recently with cancer
- Alcohol or drug consumption
- Old age people
- People with mental illness
A single kidney will be enough to replace two failed kidneys and you can survive with a single healthy kidney.
How to Prepare for Kidney Transplantation?
- Mental health evaluation: Various mental issues such as stress, anxiety, support from family, and financial problems will be assessed. It is important as they have a great impact on the success of the treatment.
- Blood tests: The doctor will conduct a blood test to ensure that you find an accurate kidney donor. This helps to reduce the chances of rejecting a kidney donor.
- Diagnostic tests: Various diagnostic tests may also be performed to know about your health condition and to check your kidneys. Diagnostic tests include x-rays, kidney biopsy, ultrasound, etc.
What Happens During the Procedure?
You need to stay in the hospital to undergo kidney transplantation. You need to remove your clothing and wear a hospital gown during the surgery. Catheters will be inserted neck, wrist, arm to check your heart, blood pressure. A catheter will also be inserted into the urinary bladder. You need to lie on your back and you will be given anesthesia to make you asleep.
A tube will be inserted into your lungs through the mouth, which is attached to a ventilator to help you breathe. The doctor will keep monitoring your heartbeat, blood pressure and pulse throughout the surgery. A long incision will be made on a side of the lower abdomen and a kidney will be placed into your belly.
The artery and vein of the donor kidney will be attached to the external iliac artery and vein and the blood flow will be monitored. The ureter of the donor will be connected to your bladder and the incision will be closed with stitches.
You need to take medications to prevent swelling and discomfort. You should keep the surgical area clean and dry. Based on your condition, your doctor may instruct certain measures following the surgery.
Renown Kidney Clinic in Hyderabad
Renown Kidney Clinic has performed hundreds of kidney transplantation surgeries in Hyderabad with a 100% success rate. We have a group of experienced doctors who are experts at performing complex kidney transplantations. We collaborate with various hospitals to perform kidney transplantations and we are well-known for our effective surgical procedures. To know more about us, call us today.