Kidney Stones Treatment
Kidneys in our body filter waste and fluids from the blood and are passed through urine. If kidneys do not function well, waste and fluids get accumulated in the blood. These wastes will get sticked to your kidneys and form crystals. These crystals attract other waste from your body and they keep enlarging until they pass from the body through urine. These are called kidney stones. Kidney stones are hard and are pebble-like structures.
Kidney stones vary in size and small kidney stones easily get passed through your urine. But big kidney stones can obstruct the flow of urine and can cause severe pain and bleeding. In most cases, kidney stones do not cause any permanent damage if it is recognized and diagnosed early.
How to Know If I Have Kidney Stones?
If the kidney stones are small, they can easily pass through the urinary tract and do not show any signs or symptoms.
If the kidney stones are large, you may notice the following symptoms:
- Pain or burning sensation while peeing
- Severe pain in the back or abdomen
- Vomiting and nausea
- Sharp pain below ribs
- Foul-smelling urine
- Urinating more frequently than normal
- Blood in urine
If you are experiencing any of the above symptoms, you should seek medical attention as soon as possible.
What Causes Kidney Stones?
Kidney stones are formed when your urine has higher levels of calcium, oxalate, and uric acid than the fluids in your urine. Low urine volume can also cause kidney stones and it is due to dehydration. Other possible causes of kidney stones include the following:
- History of kidney stones earlier
- Family history of kidney stones
- Not drinking enough water that causes dehydration
- Following a diet that is rich in protein, sugar, and sodium
- Overweight or obesity
- History of intestinal or gastric bypass surgery
- Polycystic kidney disease
- Certain medical conditions causing high levels of oxalate, uric acid or calcium in urine
- Use of certain medications such as calcium and Vitamin D supplements
Types of Kidney Stones
It is essential to be aware of the different types of kidney stones as it helps to determine the cause and measures to be taken to reduce the risk. The common types are:
- Calcium stones: These are the most common kidney stones and they occur in the form of calcium oxalate or calcium phosphate. Use of Vitamin D supplements, bypass surgery, and metabolic conditions can cause these kidney stones.
- Struvite stones: These are caused by urinary tract infections. They can quickly become large with or without any symptoms.
- Uric acid stones: These stones are seen in people who lose more fluid due to chronic diarrhea, metabolic conditions, and diabetes. Certain genetic factors can also lead to uric acid stones.
- Cystine stones: People with a condition called cystinuria can lead to cystine stones. This condition makes your kidneys to excrete high amounts of amino acids.
Diagnosis and Treatment for Kidney Stones
When you visit a doctor for kidney stones treatment, he will conduct a physical examination and will ask about your medical history, and possible signs. If the doctor suspects that you have kidney stones, he may conduct various lab and imaging tests such as blood test, urine test, and CT scan. Both blood test and urine test help your doctor to determine the type of kidney stones you have. Imaging tests show any blockages in the urinary tract.
The treatment for kidney stones is based on their cause and type. Small kidney stones may easily pass through your urine without any medications. If not, you should drink plenty of fluids to produce clear urine. Medications may also be prescribed to let kidney stones pass through your urine.
If kidney stones are large, you should seek urgent treatment as they may block urine passage and cause severe pain and bleeding. Your doctor will perform surgery either to remove or break down the kidney stones. Different surgeries include shock wave lithotripsy, cystoscopy, ureteroscopy, and percutaneous nephrolithotomy.
Have Kidney Stones? Visit Renown Kidney Clinic
If you or your loved one have any signs of kidney stones, Renown Kidney Clinic is your go to place. We have a team of nephrologists who are dedicated to treating patients with kidney stones in Hyderabad. We use the latest technology and equipment to offer a painless and safe treatment for our patients. So, do not delay and book your appointment right away to prevent your condition from progressing.